Welcome to Mrs. Calloway's Art classes!
Teacher: Mrs. L. Calloway
1.410.643.7330 ext. 2601
room: 601 the art room
The goal of this course is to increase student awareness and appreciation for visual arts and culture, as well as, encourage the analytical process of peer and group critiques. This course is aligned with the Maryland State Department of Education’s Visual Arts Curriculum for outcomes, expectations, and indicators. Our units of study will review the elements of art and the principles of design. Lessons will encourage students to link knowledge of math, literature, science, and history to create personal original art. Multicultural and diverse perspectives will also be integrated into lessons.
All students will be challenged to communicate ideas through their artwork and the work of others. They will be able to observe, respond to, and give meaning to their visual environment by participating in art activities that integrate the study of aesthetics, art criticism, art history, and art production.
Units of Study:
- Art Appreciation/ Art History
Explanation of Assessments:
- Mastery Assessments : Provides timely feedback after the instructional process for the purpose of demonstrating the level of mastery of the skills being assessed. These could include, but are not limited to major projects, performances, unit tests, and if applicable, midterm and final exams.
- Progress Assessments : These assessments for learning are assignments and assessments given at a point in time when the students are progressing towards mastery. Progress assignments should vary in type. These could include, but are not limited to, class work, brief progress checks, and quizzes. Progress assessments are intended to be summative in nature only on a smaller scale to the mastery assessments.
- Looseleaf paper
- Pencil and eraser
Materials that Could be Donated and Would be Greatly Appreciated:
- Clean Greek Yogurt Cups
- Black or colored Sharpies
- Hot glue gun sticks
- Styrofoam trays/plates
- Disinfecting Wipes
- One Composition notebook or sketchbook
- Arrive to class prepared and on time.
- Respect yourself and others.
- Remain in your seat unless otherwise directed by the teacher.
- The teacher dismisses the class and not the bell.
- Refrain from eating/drinking in class.
- Raise your hand before speaking and wait to be called on.
- Keep all electronic devices (except the Chromebook) in your locker unless otherwise instructed.
- Academic dishonesty of any nature will not be tolerated.
Fine Art is a structured class during which a routine is established and followed. Each class begins with a journal or warm-up activity. All notes and important information for that unit of study should be kept in a folder. Warm-up questions may also be given in Google Classroom.
- Reflection of Mastery
Type of Task
Percentage of Final Grade
- Extra Credit:
- Extra credit points/ grades will not be given. Rewarding extra credit skews the meaning of a student’s grade by rewarding extra effort as opposed to achieving proficiency.
- Students may retake a Progress Assessment only before a Mastery Assessment for the same unit is given in accordance with the new Middle School Grading Policy.
- Missing/Late Assignments
- In the event that a student does no work on the task/assignment or fails to turn in
the task/assignment, “NTI” will be assigned (NTI = Not Turned In). The “NTI”
will be a grade of a 40% if the student does not turn in the work. Late work will
be accepted with the following consideration:
- Grades reflect the mastery of standards and course objectives not behavior. Work accepted after the expected time period is not subjected to a lower grade due to lateness.
Extra Studio Time:
Students may seek additional time or help after school or during lunches. The student must prearrange extra studio time with Mrs. Calloway. The student must bring a permission note to stay after school on the day they are staying. Each student must have an authorized adult pick them up afterward.
(Please detach, sign, and return the completed form below
I agree with all the aforementioned expectations, policies, consequences, and I will abide by them throughout the semester in Mrs. Calloway’s class.
__________________________________________________ Please circle all that apply.
Student’s Name (Print) Grade: 6 7 8
__________________________________________________ Class: A Day Art or B Day Art
Student’s Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Name (Print)
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Phone NumberPlease feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com.
Fall, 2018The following codes will help you access Google Classroom Codes:Grade 6 Art 8fn9pbpGrade 7 Art mwxys4Grade 8 Art lvvnk6