Requirements for Membership in the Kent Island Chapter of the National Honor Society
In order to be accepted as a member of our chapter, a student must demonstrate that he/she exemplifies the four Pillars of the National Honor Society (Character, Scholarship, Leadership, and Service) by meeting the following requirements:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher.
- Active membership in at least 3 activities – one of which must be a school sponsored activity that is not part of a course requirement.
- Demonstrable skills of a leader
- Active participation in service activities outside of Maryland State Graduation Requirements
- A “clean” school disciplinary record
- Five recommendations by KIHS faculty members who have taught the student and who are familiar with his/her classroom behavior, performance, leadership, initiative, and motivation.
In addition, once an inducted NHS member, you are required to:
- Attend monthly meetings after school from 2:40-3:30pm.
- Complete two NHS group organized service activities each year
- Participate in peer tutoring program each semester
- Participate in school wide paper recycling program annually
- Participate in one of four leadership subcommittees
- Continue to demonstrate the 4 pillars of the National Honor Society
- Maintain scholastic achievement of 3.50 cumulative GPA
- Pay annual dues
- Uphold all school and county wide policies including sportsmanship