Kindergarten Registration Process
The State of Maryland requires children to attend kindergarten before entering first grade. Children who are five years of age by September 1, 2017 (or be born between the dates of 09/02/11 - 09/01/12) must register and attend kindergarten before entering the first grade. There are some exceptions to this law. Parents may:
- apply for a home school instruction program as an alternative to the school attendance requirement.
- request a one year level of maturity waiver if they believe a delay in school attendance is in the best interest of their child.
- enroll their five-year old child in one of the following three alternative settings:
- full time in a licensed child care center
- full time in a registered family day care home
- part time in a Head Start five-year-old program
A parent who elects to enroll a child in one of the three alternative settings shall file their intent to do this with the local school system before the opening of school of the year in which the child becomes five years old. The parent must provide the following information:
a.) Name of program
b.) Address of facility location
c.) License or registration number and registration data
If your child is currently enrolled in a QACPS pre-kindergarten program, they will automatically be enrolled in Kindergarten.
If you child is not currently enrolled in a QACPS pre-kindergarten program, you will need to register him/her by calling the school to set up an appointment. When registering your child you will need the following:
Contact:(410) 758-2403 ext. 175202 Chesterfield Avenue
- the child’s birth certificate
- the child’s social security number
- the child’s completed Immunization and Health Inventory forms
- proof of residence in Queen Anne's County
- approved Out of Zone Form if child is not attending his/her home school for place of residence
Centreville, Maryland 21617