The following Reading Intervention programs are available at Church Hill Elementary School:Fundations
Leveled Literacy Intervention
- Wilson Fundations for K-3 is a phonological/phonemic awareness, phonics and spelling program. Fundations lessons focus on carefully sequenced skills that include print knowledge, alphabet awareness, phonological awareness, phonemic awareness, decoding, vocabulary, fluency, and spelling.
- The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention System (LLI) is a small-group, supplementary literacy intervention designed to help teachers provide powerful, daily, small-group instruction for the lowest achieving students at their grade level. Through systematically designed lessons and original, engaging leveled books, LLI supports learning in both reading and writing, helps students expand their knowledge of language and words and how they work. The goal of LLI is to bring students to grade level achievement in reading.
- Soar to Success is a research-based reading intervention program for students in grades 3-8 who are reading below grade level. It is a small-group model that uses motivating literature, reciprocal teaching, and graphic organizers in fast-paced lessons to help students in grades 3-8 accelerate their reading growth.
- Corrective Reading is designed to promote reading accuracy (decoding), fluency, and comprehension skills of students in grades 4–12 who are reading below their grade level.
More information is available regarding each type of intervention. Please contact me via email or phone if you have any questions or would like more information.
- i-Ready Diagnostic & Instruction assesses and teaches the following skill areas: phonological awareness, phonics, high-frequency words, vocabulary and comprehension.
i-Ready Diagnostic & Instruction begins by giving students an adaptive assessment in reading or math. An adaptive assessment is a test that automatically adjusts the difficulty of the questions according to each student’s performance in order to determine his or her abilities in reading or math. Before your child begins the assessment, it’s important to set appropriate expectations. i-Ready is a very different kind of test that presents students with questions that can be both too easy and too hard. It is designed to do this until the assessment finds exactly the level at which the student is performing. Therefore, your child will certainly see some items above his or her level. Encourage your child to independently complete the test to the best of his or her ability, and know that it is okay to get questions wrong. Each time a student gets an item incorrect, he or she will be presented with a simpler question until the diagnostic finds the grade level at which the student is performing. The assessment efficiently assesses students across multiple grade levels, allowing for identification of root causes of students’ struggles or for identification of areas where a student is ready for further challenge. This information will then provide the teacher with a “road map” to instructional remediation. Once your child completes the test, he or she will be assigned online instruction to support his or her progress in mastering each skill. The online instruction is designed to be both challenging and engaging. i-Ready delivers instruction using engaging, contemporary animation; the lessons are also interactive. The result is an experience that attracts and holds your child’s interest while also teaching important skills and concepts. These lessons are proven to help students grow academically.