Any member who falls below the standards of scholarship, leadership, character, citizenship, or service may be disciplined or dismissed from the Matapeake Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society. A member of the National Junior Honor Society is expected to maintain his/her academic standing and take an active role in service and leadership to his/her school and community.
Possible Reasons for discipline and dismissal include but are not limited to:
Discipline Procedure1. NJHS Adviser/Faculty Council is informed about deficiency. (Office referral, grade report, service record, meeting attendance, etc.)
- GPA falling below scholarship standards
- Violating the law
- Violating school rules such as: use of cell phones during school hours, profanity, dress code violations, academic dishonesty, unexcused absences, excessive tardiness, or disrespectful behavior
- Failing to meet member obligations such as meeting attendance, participation in service projects, participation in fundraisers, participation in school based events, etc.
· In the case of a flagrant violation of school rules or the law, a warning is not required for dismissal, but a hearing will still be held.
2. 2. Faculty Council meets to discuss and determine disciplinary action. A probationary period may be given with what the student needs to do to correct the deficiency. A conference with student and Faculty Council may occur at this time.
3. 3. A Certified letter placing student on probation is mailed home. Verification should be returned with student and parent signature.
4. 4. Student has the probationary period to correct the deficiency as outlined by the Faculty Council.
5. 5. The Faculty Council meets with student at the end of probation period to determine the next step.
6. 6. In case of dismissal, student will have the right to a hearing before the Faculty Council.
7. 7. A member who has been dismissed my appeal the decision of the Faculty Council to principal. Dismissed members must surrender any membership emblems to the adviser. When a student is dismissed or resigns, he/she is no longer a member and may never again be considered for membership in the National Junior Honor Society.