The Wellness ConnectionIn conjunction with QACPS, the Queen Anne's County Department of Health implemented and wellness initiative for the public schools in Queen Anne's County beginning in the 2012-2103 school year. This endeavor consists of registered community health nurses to be located on site at the middle and high schools to provide linkage to community resources and health education. There is a strong collaborative relationship between the established school nurses, school staff, and the Department of Health that will serve to enhance the overall well being of students and families.Goals
- To provide a family-orientated center within the school setting in which students and families may receive information and recommendations to community resources as well as health education on numerous topics.
- To create a school network where school nurses, teachers, and administrative staff who have identified socioeconomic/physical/mental health problems within the student population will have an on-site recommendation source to link students and families to appropriate community resources.
- To decrease the time delay for a student/family to be connected to a helpful community resource ad thus increase successful outcomes for identified issues.
- To provide health education on timely topics.
- To decrease teen pregnancy rates.
- To decrease incidence of smoking and alcohol/drug use in the student population.
Health Education TopicsIn conjunction with teachers, counselors, school nurses, and administrative staff, the Queen Anne's County Department of Health nurses will provide health education teaching as requested. They will also provide one-on-one sessions with families and students about timely topics and healthy lifestyle choices when identified as a need and also requested by students and families.STMS Wellness Connection Nurse: Maggie Schmidt, RN, BSN
Wednesdays from 8 AM - 1 PMFor more information, contact our school nurse, Mrs. Theresa Griebel, at 410-643-3194 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health lifestyle choices
- Reproductive health
- Dental hygiene
- Smoke-free living
- Alcohol and drug-free living