Child Find is an ongoing process through which all children with disabilities, from birth through 21 years of age, in the State who are eligible for early intervention or in need of special education services are identified, located and evaluated. In Queen Anne's County this service is provided through the Infants and Toddler's Program for children birth to 3 and for children ages 3 through 21 by the Queen Anne’s County Public School (QACPS) System.
What is the Process?
It begins with a review or screening of available information about the child.
When screening indicates the possibility of an educational disability, the child is evaluated in relevant areas.
When results indicate that a child is disabled and in need of special education services, an individualized plan is developed.
Who is eligible for Child Find services?
- Children ages 3 & 4 residing in Queen Anne’s County who are not enrolled in a preschool/preK program.
- Children ages 3-21 enrolled in a Queen Anne's County Public School.
- Children ages 3-21 attending an MSDE approved private/parochial school located in Queen Anne’s County, regardless of residency.
- Children ages 3-12 residing in Queen Anne's County who are participating in home schooling.
Who may refer?
Parents, teachers, physicians, community agencies, day care/nursery schools, other health specialists, and private schools may refer children.
To begin the referral process if your child is currently enrolled in QACPS:
- Submit a written referral to your child's school principal and/or Individualized Education Program (IEP) team chairperson.
- The written referral is the documentation of the individual’s reason for the referral
- It should include:
- The date of the referral;
- Student’s name, gender, date of birth; and grade;
- Parent(s) or primary caregiver’s name(s), address, and telephone number
For children birth to age 3, contact the single point of entry at:
Mary Lou Christian, R.N.
QAC Dpt. of Health
206 N. Commerce St.
Centreville, MD 21617
410-758-2838 - FAX
410-758-0720, Ext. 4456
If your child (ages 3 -21) is currently not enrolled in QACPS, to begin the referral process contact:
Special Education Teacher Specialist
(410) 758-2403, ext. 182
202 Chesterfield Avenue
Centreville, Maryland 21617