Schoology Home Page:
Having a Parent account in Schoology is actually like having two accounts:
- Your personal account, with your own name and information;
- Your Child Activity view. From here, you can view Schoology from your child’s perspective, and see what he or she sees, and receive updates about his or her activity.
Start by clicking on the arrow in the upper-right corner, next to your name, and then select your child’s name to switch into his or her account. The checkmark in this drop-down menu indicates which account you are currently viewing.
Student Activity View
Viewing Your Child’s Activity
Click on the arrow in the upper-right corner of your account and select your child’s name to view his or her activity.
From the home page, you can quickly view specific information about your child’s Schoology activity:
- The Student Activity area in the center of the page displays your child’s recent submission, grade, and attendance information.
- Toggle into Enrollments in the same area to see a list of the courses your child is currently enrolled in, along with his or her grade. If the teacher or administrator has chosen not to display the grade while the course is in progress, you will see a blank value (as in the grade column above). Click on an individual course to see grades received on assignments, tests, and discussions from that course. Depending on the permission settings in place at your school, you may not be able to view content posted by other members of the course.
- The Recent Grades/Attendance area lists graded assignments, tests/quizzes, discussions, and attendance marks for the student. To view the graded items and attendance marks, click the item you'd like to view.
- The Overdue section displays a list of course materials your child did not turn in by the due date.
- The Upcoming section displays a list of your child’s upcoming assignments and events.
- Courses: You can see a list of your child’s current courses. Click the course name to navigate to the course profile as your child views it. Depending on the permission settings in place at your school, you may not be able to view content posted by other members of the course.
- Groups: You can see a list of your child’s Schoology Groups. Groups can be used for a variety of activities, from school projects to extracurricular teams and clubs. Depending on the permission settings in place at your school, you may not be able to view content posted by other members of the group.
- Grades: Depending on the settings in place at your child’s school, this menu provides access to view the following:
- Grade Report: Review your child’s grades for all courses.
- Mastery: If your child’s school aligns materials to standard and learning objectives, you can check your child’s progress in this area.
- Attendance: Review your child’s attendance for all courses.
- Calendar: Click to view a calendar of past and upcoming events and assignments. To find out more information regarding a particular event, place your cursor over the title. A clue tip displays with the event type (assignment, test/quiz, event), the event's course or group, and the student name. Click the event to display profile information in a pop-up window.
Your Account Activity
To return to your Schoology account, click the down-facing arrow and select your account. If you have linked accounts in Schoology, you will see the school associated with each account under your name.
While toggled into your personal account, you'll see your own name in the top right corner. Your personal account homepage displays activity related to any courses and groups in which you are enrolled, a well as school information from the school with which you are associated.
Depending on the settings in place at your school, you may be able to exchange messages with teachers at your school. The right side of the top navigation bar displays to Messages icon (envelope icon).Note: There is no Messages icon in the Child Activity view. Messages to your child are private and are not viewable from a parent account.
Check New Messages
When you have a new message in your inbox, the Messages icon on the top menu displays a new number.
- Navigate to your Messages area by clicking on the icon in the top menu.
- New messages are indicated with a blue dot. Click the message you'd like to read.
- To reply to a message, write in the Message area, then click Send.
Check Sent Messages
- Navigate to your Messages area by clicking the icon in the top menu and clicking View All.
- Click the Sent Messages tab.
- To read a message, click a message you've sent in the past.
- To send a message, click the +New Message button.
- Fill out the form, and click Send to complete.
A recipient name automatically populates when you enter a teacher's name into the To field. If you're not able to send a message to certain users, talk to your teacher for further guidance.Note: If you have linked accounts in Schoology, we recommend that you check for new messages in each of your linked accounts.
Notifications & Requests
Also on the right side of the navigation bar you have the bell icon displaying Notifications & Requests. Any time someone sends you a message, wants to connect, or does something that pertains to you or your affiliations, it will be made easily accessible in the top right corner of your screen. Everything is chronologically ordered and clickable to make managing them simple.
Below, a parent receives an invitation to a join group: