Sudlersville Middle School's origins date back to Sudlersville High School, which opened its doors in 1914. Twenty students enrolled in that first year. In 1941, a new building was completed on North Church Street. Two wings were added in 1950 to accommodate a growing student body. With the completion of the new Queen Anne's County Comprehensive High School located in Centreville, the old Sudlersville High School began operation as a middle school, beginning with the 1966-67 school year and ending with the opening of the current middle school in May 2012.The current Sudlersville Middle School building houses approximately 450 fifth though eighth grade students and 63 staff members. The school was constructed on a 40-acre lot at a cost of 23 million dollars. It immediately earned the rare and coveted Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold (LEED) Certification. Sudlersville Middle School was built to be at the forefront in energy efficiency, low environmental impact, and productive atmosphere for learning. The school features geothermal and solar energy capabilities, daylight harvesting, minimal water run-off, high efficiency lighting, superior insulation. SMS truly is "where Green gets the GOLD!"