National Honor Society
Requirements for Membership in the Kent Island Chapter of the National Honor Society
In order to be accepted as a member of our chapter, a student must demonstrate that he/she exemplifies the four Pillars of the National Honor Society (Character, Scholarship, Leadership, and Service) by meeting the following requirements:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher.
- Active membership in at least 3 activities – one of which must be a school sponsored activity that is not part of a course requirement.
- Demonstrable skills of a leader
- Active participation in service activities outside of Maryland State Graduation Requirements
- A “clean” school disciplinary record
- Five recommendations by KIHS faculty members who have taught the student and who are familiar with his/her classroom behavior, performance, leadership, initiative, and motivation.
In addition, once an inducted NHS member, you are required to:
- Attend monthly meetings after school from 2:40-3:30pm.
- Complete two NHS group organized service activities each year
- Participate in peer tutoring program each semester
- Participate in school wide paper recycling program annually
- Participate in one of four leadership subcommittees
- Continue to demonstrate the 4 pillars of the National Honor Society
- Maintain scholastic achievement of 3.50 cumulative GPA
- Pay annual dues
- Uphold all school and county wide policies including sportsmanship
Volunteering is an important part of NHS eligibility and membership. We have provided a downloadable PDF with suggestions for local volunteer opportunities.
Student Government Association (SGA)
The role of Student Government at Kent Island High School is to represent the interests of the student body. Student Government is best known for planning Homecoming and Blood Drives, but also for promoting school spirit. Our members participate in various academic and extracurricular experiences, exhibiting the ultimate school spirit. Go Bucs!